Stat counter

March 28, 2012

Upcycle and Freecycle


Come and check out our new blog!

http://theecohousewives.wordpress.com


So let's clarify a few things:

1. I am a bit of a crap blogger. I post something new once in a blue moon. Sorry, I will try harder.

2. No matter how hard I try to be all Eco-friendly, and run around hugging trees, I refuse to have a nasty ugly home.

3. I am cheap. Like borscht. Like my Mom. It annoys The Husband deeply, but I still make him listen to my coupon escapades.

Insert Freecycle. It is a fantastic network of cheap people who hate to see things go to waste. You know that ugly old recliner in my living room? The one my cat used as a scratching post? I gave it away on Freecycle because no one was going to BUY it. And the lady who picked it up was elated! Win-win! So go google a local Freecycle group-they are everywhere!!!

The downfall to Freecycle? If you aren't careful, you could end up with a home of ugly mismatched furniture people had to give away.
Or...Upcycle it!!! Take for example these cane-back chairs. Splitting leather seats, flaking stain. Ugh. Ly. But I saw what they could be. A couple cans of spray paint, some new cushions and fabric (all costing less than $75) and these chairs are gorgeous! Sometimes you don't even need cushions and stuff, and an ugly coffee table can cost you less to redo than you would pay to eat at Taco Bell. And upcycling won't give you a hot date with your toilet...

So...enough already...here they are, before and after...

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous!! You did such a fantastic job. I'm impressed. When I saw the before in January I wasn't too sure what the outcome would be. Super beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should try the PG recycle again... but I forget my password and my user name.... AND I'm not sure I really need other items! Fun to look through though... and get rid of stuff! I know Naomi really like it in Coventry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't use it quite as much anymore, but I do keep an eye out for anything interesting! And it was great when we were getting ready for Joscelyn to arrive. The extra baby clothes and blankets sure helped out. Not to mention the leather sofa we got. But I know what you mean about the mismatched stuff. We went through 2 sofa sets before we got our leather sofa.

    Great job on those chairs! How many did you do up?

    ReplyDelete